Saturday, September 20, 2008

Vaya con Diós, Burritoville


Well, it wasn't a surprise but it was still a shock. It had only been a few weeks since our last trip to Burritoville on 23rd St, and tonight we tried to visit the 72nd St location but the gates were down.

A helpful passerby noted that we should try the Chipotle a block away.

Great, but you can't get a vegetarian chili burrito, a spinach and mushroom quesadilla or Bob Marley's Last Burrito there. Not to mention the "TLT Wrap", a salad burrito consisting of pico de gallo, a spicy secret sauce and tofu bacon, which hadn't been on the menu for years but could still be ordered with a wink at any of the remaining locations.

It's a very sad day. Burritoville was not without its quirks (locations without bathrooms, basement doors that open right below the line where you order food, etc.) but it was a lovable, reliable place to grab a moderately healthy bite on a budget.

The New York Times confirmed my suspicions, that the local chain had been on its last legs for some time and couldn't handle the steady decline in business since the arrival of Chipotle.

I guess people just like to have a personal relationship with the creator of their burrito. But sometimes, you just want food that isn't quite so corporate. And it's getting more difficult every day. Even in New York City.

Now leaving Burritoville. Population zero.

7 comments:

MegA said...

This has come as quite a shock. I have always loved Burritoville. My life is peppered with memories from sitting at their quasi crappy seats, eating their original veggie friendly mexican cuisine. I met my husband at the Burritoville on 39th! Thank goodness we went back there for our first anniversary in June. Who knew it would be the last time. It will be missed, deeply.

Norn Cutson said...

it *is* sad.

i had come to rely on the 72nd st location on late-working nights.
the employees were friendly.

people talk about how it wasnt "real" mexican food but it was the best/most convienient that was available this far uptown.

8 said...

The BBQ TEMPEH WRAP (WITH SPINACH WRAP) was the best sh*t on earth. Damn it! I can die now.

The second best sh*t on earth was the Veg. Sloppy Joe wrap and/or the TLT wrap!

DAMN IT!

Can someone who worked at Burritoville PLEASE PUT THESE RECIPES UP! CHIPOTLE SUCKS ASS! All Chipotle is beans, rice and flour - SUCKS! NO SOUL! AAARRRGGHHH!!!

Alvin said...

As a vegan,may I say that B-ville was THE BEST Mexican joint in the country! True,It's not "authentic",but "authentic" Mexican food will kill you! They used brown rice for cryin'out loud! It was delightful! Vegged Out in Santa Fe, R.I.P

Anonymous said...

I don't like Chipolte - made me sick everytime I went to them - I will forever miss Burritoville and their vegan burrito yumminess

Unknown said...

i live in the hudson valley now but still hit burritoville every time i came down. when i saw those shutters my heart sank to my toes--i'm just crushed. the megasoy was a vegan's DREAM!

reopen, burritoville! chipotle can kiss my anti-corporate vegan ass.

Anonymous said...

Sucks. Cosmic Cantina is the 2nd best burrito place I know of in NYC.