Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Blast from the past


In honor of Google's tenth birthday, they brought back the search engine as it was in 2001. Naturally, I Googled myself to see what would come up. And to my surprise, I found the intro graphic that I made for the first professional web site I designed in my career back in 1995.

Back then, big intro graphics were all the rage, and this one clocked in at a whopping 56kb. At the time, I knew next to nothing about file size optimization, and being on a university T1, I didn't really give much thought to the roughly 10 seconds it would take download the page over a 56kbps connection. But hey, at least I thought enough to offer them a low-bandwidth option!

Here's the accompanying text from the page:
    Remember the rotating S? That was the handywork of two designers/techs from SU. They were Daniel Modell and Jing Jia. These two were the creators of the original Sybercuse, what we like to call Version One! The Project Manager assigned to the task of overseeing this huge undertaking was chief engineer Conrad Trautmann. With a couple of Macs and a high speed connection the making of Sybercuse was under way. When the time came for the unveiling of the site.. Joel thought what better place than the New York State Fair?

I'm pretty interested/freaked out to see what else I might find.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

http://web.archive.org/web/19961119080639/http://sybercuse.com/

Daniel... the rotating S LIVES! Thank you for all you did starting sybercuse.. it gave me some of the best years of my career. :)

dee formerly collins perkins
who lives down the block from your dad!

Pud said...

I totally remember that graphic. It actually seems to stand the test of time and still looks better than most of the stuff out there.

PS- I switched to Mac, finally.